Sharing the Power of Cheerful Giving
First came the best-selling book, then the Oscar-nominated movie; the story of Michael Oher and the family who adopted him has become one of the most celebrated true stories of our time. The Blind Side—both the New York Times #1 bestseller and the Hollywood blockbuster—introduced the world to Leigh Anne and Sean Tuohy, the Memphis couple who was out for a morning drive when they saw young Michael Oher walking alone along the side of the road. They stopped the car that day, and their lives changed in a heartbeat. That’s the story we all know, but now, for the first time, the remarkable couple depicted in The Blind Side tells their own story, and “The story is greater than we are,” explains Leigh Anne. The Tuohy family story demonstrates that taking a chance on someone is worth the risk.
In a Heartbeat: Sharing the Power of Cheerful Giving by Leigh Anne and Sean Tuohy with Sally Jenkins (Henry Holt, July 13, 2010) takes readers on an extraordinary journey of faith and love and shares unforgettable lessons about the power of giving. The Tuohys’ deeply inspiring memoir offers readers a detailed picture of a family that makes giving a way of life, the huge blessings that decision has brought to them, and the ways we can all make a difference in our own communities.
Just a few of the lessons in generosity from the Tuohys include:
- If you can’t give something big, give something small.
- “Get one, give one”—when you receive something, give part of it away.
- Giving does not mean enabling—before you give intelligently, you have to learn the value of a dollar.
- Generosity starts at home.
Adjusting to their new life with Michael was not without its complications, and the Tuohys speak frankly about the issues faced by everyone in the family. All three Tuohy kids reflect on their experiences. In a Heartbeat reveals:
- How bringing Michael into their lives was as much an awakening for the Tuohys as it was for him
- The awkward gaps they confronted between privileged and poor and black and white, and how the family worked together to bridge them
- Their worries and concerns at several stages in their growing relationship with Michael
Henry Holt and Company/July 13, 2010
For more information, contact me!