The staggering reality of human trafficking – and signs to look for
- An individual, usually a woman or child, is accompanied by an older adult male who may pose as a father figure or boyfriend. This person is usually a pimp who is controlling the woman.
- She is not free to come and go at will and does not seem to have official documents like a passport, visa papers, etc.
- She shows signs of physical abuse – scars, burn marks, etc. She may also have a brand or tattoo, often a money symbol, name, or bar code which could indicate trafficking.
- She seems tense, nervous, does not make eye contact, is wary of law enforcement, and seems withdrawn or depressed.
- She may live at her place of employment, works strange or long hours, and does not seem to control her own time or money.
- She has a large debt she cannot seem to pay off but also may exhibit expensive clothes or jewelry.
- She lives/works in a location with high security measures – bars inside the windows, barbed wire, security cameras, locked doors, etc.
- She has a contradictory story, is vague or seems confused about her circumstances, and may be using drugs.